Getting Framed

After what felt like forever, we finally got out slab poured! It was such an exciting day to see the house starting to take shape. During this time, we were also trying to get the house framed. Did I fail to mention that all the while we were doing this it was pouring rain? The weather was certainly not on our side, making construction tough.

getting-framed

Our crew was ready to get to work, but the pouring rain meant no power tools, which also meant that very little progress was being made. Little by little, the framing started and the job site (while a muddy mess) started showing the skeleton of a home.

We were really excited to see the interior framing come to life – little spots where there would be pass-through areas, built-ins and groin vaults! I was especially thrilled about the groin vaults. Groin vaults are created by intersecting the right angles of two barrel vaults. We have them going down the first two floor hallways – from the mudroom through the butler’s pantry, to the kitchen on the west side of the house and from the study to the master room on the east side.

getting-framed

We were also eager to see our roof! Although we originally requested a simple roofline, we ended up with an intricate, yet beautiful roof. Since the roof is such a prominent feature and the way the house sits forces you to look up, we wanted to line the roof with the best shingles possible. We chose a thick, multicolor shingle that gives lots of architectural shape to the roof. When the shingles went up, we were very pleased with the result. We’ll go into more details about the roof in our next post!

I arrived one day to see the progress of the house and realized that all of the dormers on the garage were in the wrong place. The dormers were sitting higher than they should’ve been while architecture is open to updates and modern interpretation, I did think dropping them would be more visually appealing. Unfortunately, they had been completely constructed and the shingles were in place, so the repair of this error was going to be costly.

getting-framed

My husband didn’t want to make the changes. His argument was that because of the height of the house and the layout of the street, you would never really see the house from a distance where the dormer placement would be noticeable. I, however, was torn. I sent the photos and plans to several architect and builder friends of mine who advised that we change them, so that’s what we did.

The architect agreed to pay for some of the additional costs and the framer was able to tear off the dormers faster than expected. Although we were disappointed in moving backwards, the dormers looked better in the end. Getting new shingles on them is another story that took months…

Stay tuned for the next installment of my Construction Blog Series!

Get in Touch


Monday, March 14th, 2016

Recent Comments

  • User AvatarStaceyEOrris { Great blog you've got here.. It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours currently. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!! } – Jul 21, 12:35 PM
  • User AvatarEmileeKHix { Thanks to your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you may well be a fantastic author. I am going to remember to bookmark your... } – Jul 18, 8:04 PM
  • User AvatarDrew { I love mosaic tile! They work great in bathrooms. I would like to have mosaic tile in my shower one day. Thanks for the idea. } – Apr 05, 6:22 PM
  • User Avataradmin { Hello! I'm so glad that you enjoy my blog! My best advice is to choose topics that you're incredibly passionate about. Whether you're into interior... } – Mar 17, 7:07 PM
  • User Avatarthe Wallpaper Lady { So much for the axiom that it's "not proper" to show a toilet in a photograph! } – Feb 12, 2:28 AM
  • User AvatarJudy Britt { I'm enjoying seeing the progress on your house every time I pass it. It's beautiful. } – Jul 07, 3:45 PM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


 


Web Design by Adhere Creative - Brand Direction by Studio Brand Collective - On GoDaddy